Yes, I founded an organic juice company. Yes, I believe that my body is my greatest earthly blessing and that I need to treat it with love, respect and care. Yes - I wholeheartedly understand, teach and preach that the most important way that we can love our bodies is by feeding them pure, organic nutrition. And yes, I do drink caffeine - - - if we are being totally honest, I kinda drink a lot of it at times. Sure, I have gone through periods of time without consuming caffeine, like for instance whenever I do a juice cleanse and usually for a month or so after that. Still - the truth is that I love coffee and I love tea even more. I enjoy the ritual of it, the "treat" of it, and the buzz from it!
People are often surprised when they see or hear that I drink caffeine and I sometimes find myself defending my green tea or coffee habit. So - - - I am laying it out right here in writing on the world wide web for anyone who cares to judge :)
I drink coffee, green tea or mate almost daily and here is why I am not afraid to admit it:
- Many studies validate that caffeine improves memory, focus and general cognitive function.
- Caffeine has been proven to increase fat burning and boost metabolism.
- Coffee delivers a big dose of powerful antioxidants
- Coffee has been credited as preventing many diseases like cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and Type II Diabetes.
With all of the above stated, it is important to DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Despite what the old adage says, too much of a good thing is not wonderful in this case.
Here are my rules for consuming caffeine responsibly.
- Choose organic. Coffees and teas can be highly processed if you purchase the conventional form. If this is a daily habit for you, make sure it is not coming with a toxic pesticide burden.
- Limit yourself to two caffeinated beverages per day and enjoy them before 2pm. More frequent consumption can lead to restless sleep. A lack of sleep can counteract all of the potentially positive benefits of your daily java.
- Pay attention to how you feel about 3 hours after your daily dose. If you find yourself crashing or feeling lethargic, you may want to consider an alternative to traditional tea or coffee. Black maca, yerba mate or guayasa (found in natural food stores) are all good options that have been touted to provide an energy boost without a crash.